Short term support after illness

If you're recovering from an illness or have just come out of hospital, you can get some extra support while you recover.

If your needs change in a way that means you're suddenly unable to cope, or you need help for the first time after a period of being unwell or an accident, you may be able to get some support to get you back on your feet. Short-term support can help if you:

  • would like to regain the confidence and skills to live an independent life
  • need support to remain in your own home
  • have been in hospital or residential care and are now returning home.

How does it work?

Someone from the Response and Rehabilitation team will visit you at home to discuss your situation, what help you need and what you want to be able to get back to doing. If you have been in hospital, they will work with you and your family to plan for your discharge back home.

You’ll always have one key contact throughout the duration of the service. This person is called a care coordinator. Your care coordinator will work with you to develop a short-term support plan that meets your needs in the best possible way. Your care coordinator may bring in other health and social care professionals from including physiotherapists, occupational therapists, general and mental health nurses, social workers and therapy assistants to work with you and your family.

What support is available?

Your plan will focus on the therapy and support you need to improve your current situation and help you stay in your own home and live as independently as possible:

  • your care coordinator will look at what you used to do and try to find ways of doing as many things as possible for yourself
  • they will work with you to develop improvement goals and may look at finding new ways of doing things and explore the latest equipment and technology that could assist you
  • they will organise a package of care for you, focusing on everyday issues where you need to re-learn skills or learn new ones, so that you only need to rely on other people if necessary
  • they will also show you and your family or carer how to use any equipment to assist you to be more independent so they can help you to remain independent after your short term support has finished.

As you become more independent week by week, the support you receive will be adjusted. Usually, this means that your support will reduce bit by bit until you are back to being as independent as possible. The Response and Rehabilitation team will usually work with you for up to six weeks, but it could be more or less depending on when you achieve the targets agreed in your plan.

What help is available in an emergency? 

The Response and Rehabilitation team are available seven days a week and work closely with local GPs and other community services. They can help if you’re at risk, going into hospital, or need urgent help in a crisis.

If you need help urgently and your GP or another health professional has made a referral to the team, they'll be able to respond within two hours to make sure you are safe.

What happens afterwards?

Most people will not need any further help after their short term support has finished. If you do need ongoing support, the team will carry out a full assessment of your needs at that time, no matter what your financial situation. If you are eligible for care and support from the Council, they will support you to develop a personalised plan that sets out what's important to you, and how you want to be supported in future. Once you have developed your plan, you can decide if you want the council to make arrangements for you or if you would prefer to organise your own support.

Even if you’re not eligible for support from the Council, we will always give you information and advice tailored to your circumstances and let you know if there are any other services which may be able to help you. 

What does it cost?

This is a short-term universal service and short-term support is free of charge for a few days up to a few weeks. If you still need ongoing care and support after this time, you will most likely have to contribute towards the cost.


Useful contacts:

Richmond Council Adult Access Team
Address: Adult Social Services, Civic Centre, 44 York Street, Twickenham, TW1 3BZ
Phone: 020 8891 7971
Minicom: 18001 020 8891 7971