Your responsibilities as an employer

Once you've recruited the services of a Personal Assistant, you'll officially become their employer.

As an employer, you will be responsible for the following:

  • preparing an employment contract 
  • checking references and carrying out Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks
  • calculating their wages, tax and national insurance contributions and paying their salary and contributions
  • knowing how to amend their employment terms if required
  • knowing how to terminate their employment if necessary
  • ensuring health and safety criteria are met
  • managing their annual leave allowance
  • managing any sickness leave they may have
  • being prepared to deal with any problems that may arise
  • knowing what to do if you are employing a foreign worker
  • arranging Public Liability and Employers insurance.

What help is available?

There is lots of practical help, guidance and advice available to make sure you can fulfil your responsibilities and be a good employer to your PA: 

  • Hestia can offer general information and advice on support at home. They can also help make the arrangements to employ a Personal Assistant and help you with some of the ongoing practicalities like managing payroll for you
  • Ruils' Employ-a-PA website has a step-by-step guide on how to deal with all of the above, and will take you through the day-to-day role of an employer. 

Training for Personal Assistants

When you employ a PA directly, you'll need to ensure they keep up to date with their skills, knowledge and training, so they can support you in the best possible way.  As their employer, you'll need to give them an induction as soon as they start working for you. This means showing and explaining to them in detail how you want them to help you. This may include:

  • showing them around your home
  • teaching them how to use your home appliances, alarms or mobility aids 
  • explaining and showing them exactly how you want them to support you physically, for example when any help you need with moving around the home and getting in and out of bed
  • what times you want them to help you  
  • agreeing what happens in an emergency.

You'll also need to supervise your Personal Assistant’s work on a longer-term basis, and help them to develop and progress so they can increase their skills. You may want to consider if your PA would benefit from completing the Care Certificate. The Care Certificate is not a requirement for PAs but it can help develop your PA's knowledge and give you peace of mind that your PA has the right skills and behaviours to support you day-to-day.  

What training and support is available?

Skills for Care are a national organisation who can offer learning, training and development for the care and support workforce. They can help you, as an employer, to ensure your PA’s skills are of a suitable standard, and kept up to date.  Skills for Care also offer information on learning opportunities, vocational qualifications, and tips for employers.


Pensions and personal assistants

If you employ a PA directly, you will need to enrol them in a pension scheme if they meet certain criteria, which are based on their age and how much you pay them.


Useful contacts:

Phone: 020 7378 3100

Ruils employ-a-pa
Phone: 020 8831 6083

Richmond Council Adult Access Team
Address: Adult Social Services, Civic Centre, 44 York Street, Twickenham, TW1 3BZ
Phone: 020 8891 7971
Minicom: 18001 020 8891 7971