What is a care and support worker?

If you need a little support, a care worker may be able to help you to stay in your own home as long as possible.

Care or support workers are employed by a care provider (also called a home care or domiciliary care agency). Care or support workers visit you in your home and support you with your daily living tasks. They can help you with anything from a short visit to help prepare some lunch to staying with you day and night if you need 24 hour support. Most providers will be able to support you with a whole range of tasks and in lots of different situations.

How can a care and support worker help?

Personal Care:

  • helping you get out in and out of bed
  • getting dressed and undressed
  • washing, bathing and showering
  • help with taking medications
  • intensive support after a period of illness or hospital admission  
  • assistance with using the toilet

Household tasks:

  • help with cooking and preparing meals
  • cleaning
  • shopping
  • looking after your pets
  • helping you with paperwork, such as bills and correspondence

Getting out and about:

  • helping you when you need to go to an appointment
  • taking you out for social or leisure activities
  • supporting you so you can continue to work or attend courses or classes

How does it work?

Whether you are having an assessment from the Council and are asking them to arrange your support for you or you are making your own arrangements, the provider will always assess your needs in your own home and talk to you to find out what you would like help with and how. The provider will then agree a weekly schedule with you that sets out when they will visit you and what help they will provide. 

Care providers can offer:

  • long term regular support
  • short term intensive support (reablement)
  • 24 hour care
  • emergency support
  • sitting service
  • live-in care

Most providers can also provide short term support in an emergency or to allow family or friends a break from caring.

What is live-in care?

Depending on your situation, you may need a care worker to live with you in your own home to provide 24-hour care and companionship. Your live-in care worker will need their need own bedroom and they would need to take breaks throughout the day. 

What are the benefits of using a provider?

Care providers will provide a service through a trained team of care workers, which means you may not always have the same person visiting your home, although they will always do their best to take your choices into account. The provider will:

  • take over the burden of being an employer, for example they take care of payroll, training, disciplinary issues and insurance  
  • carry out employment checks on care and support workers including taking up references and carrying out Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks
  • train their homecare workers through national qualifications and service-specific training
  • replace workers when they are ill, on holiday or resign.

Finding a care provider

Care providers have to be registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC). CQC monitors, inspects and regulates these services to make sure they meet fundamental standards of quality and safety. You will be able to see whether a particular provider is meeting these standards on the individual listing on CarePlace. 



Useful contacts:

GoLocal for Sheen, Mortlake, Barnes, Twickenham or Whitton
Phone: 020 8973 1877
Email: hello@golocal.org.uk

Community Partnership for Richmond, Kew, Ham, Petersham,Teddington or The Hamptons
Phone: 020 8831 6464
Email: advice@commpartnership.co.uk

Richmond Council Adult Access Team
Address: Adult Social Services, Civic Centre, 44 York Street, Twickenham, TW1 3BZ
Phone: 020 8891 7971
Minicom: 18001 020 8891 7971
Email: adultsocialservices@richmond.gov.uk