Help to live at home

Our new Help to Live at Home service makes sure you receive the help you need in your day-to-day life to be as independent as possible.

What is Help to live at home?

Our Help to live at home service is all about putting you in control of your care and support, so you can stay as independent as possible. This means giving you a real say in how and when you receive help and what works best for you.

The providers will work closely with you, your family and anyone else in your life to make sure you get the care and support you need when you need it. Their job is to listen to what you want and tailor the support they provide around your individual needs, wishes and aspirations. After all, nobody knows you better than you!

Our providers will also work closely with other organisations in the local community, such as the Community Independent Living Service, to provide better all-round support to you.

Getting help

If you are thinking about getting help to live at home, we always recommend you approach the Council for an assessment, no matter what your circumstances and financial situation. Having an assessment is free of charge and it can help you and others understand your needs better and it will help you think through the options.

If your needs have changed in a way that means you're suddenly unable to cope, or you need help for the first time after a period of being unwell or an accident, you may be able to get some short term support to get you back on your feet.

Our providers may be able to support you at home following a stay in hospital or illness and help you get back your independence. They will work with you to build your confidence and regain your skills to live an independent life. 


If you are eligible for ongoing care and support from the Council, they will support you develop a personalised plan that sets out what's important to you and how you want to be supported. Once you have developed your plan, you can decide if you want the Council to make arrangements for you or if you would prefer to organise your own support. 

What help is available?

Our Help to live at home providers can provide a range of care and support including helping with personal care if you are no longer able to do those things yourself. They may also be able to prepare a meal for you or help you to get around your home or to get out and about.

The kind of help you get will depend on what is agreed during your assessment and documented in your plan. Our providers will work with you to agree when and how you want them to help you. 

Who are the providers?

Two providers have been chosen to provide our Help to live at home service. They have been selected because they provide excellent care and support and employ well trained, professional and caring staff.

Mears Care provide all care and support in Twickenham, Whitton, St. Margarets, Teddington, Fulwell and the Hamptons:

Mears Care
Address: 114b Power Road, Chiswick, W4 5PY
Phone: 0208 987 2350
Fax: 0208 987 2321

Medacs Healthcare provide all care and support in Richmond, Kew, Mortlake, Sheen, Barnes, Ham and Petersham:

Medacs Healthcare
Address: 1st Floor, Saffron House, 15 Park Street, Croydon CR0 1YD
Phone: 020 8686 3842
Fax: 01582 698573

How much will it cost?

Most people pay something towards the cost of their care and support. The amount will depend on your individual circumstances and how much support you need every week.  The Council will carry out a financial assessment to work out how much you have to pay.

Whatever you decide, it is really important to get financial advice at the right time so that you can make informed and balanced decisions about your finances. We would always recommend you speak with someone independent. A financial adviser can help you understand how you can make your money work best
for you to help cover any long term care costs.


If you are eligible for financial support, you may be able to get a Direct Payment for the Council's contribution. You will most likely have to pay something towards your care, and the easiest way of managing your overall budget is to pay your own contribution into your Direct Payment account. 


What if my needs change?

We understand that your needs may change over time. Your provider will be monitoring how you are doing and looking out for any signs of your needs changing in any way. When this happens they will be able to provide more or less or different care and support to you when you need it and work with us if necessary. If you are worried, you can always contact the Access team to let them know that your needs have changed.




Useful contacts:

Richmond Council Quality Assurance Team
Phone: 020 8831 6446

Richmond Council Adult Access Team
Address: Adult Social Services, Civic Centre, 44 York Street, Twickenham, TW1 3BZ
Phone: 020 8891 7971
Minicom: 18001 020 8891 7971