If you have problems bathing, washing, dressing, or getting around your home, there’s a range of specially designed equipment to help you stay living independently. 

This could be a bath board and grab handles around the bath area to help you get in and out of the bath safely, or a chair raiser that can take the strain out of sitting down or getting up from your chair. 

Equipment to keep you living safely at home

There is a range of small equipment available, which can to help you manage daily tasks:

  • A bed leaver to help you get in and out of bed
  • A device to amplify the sound of the phone, doorbell or TV if you are hard of hearing
  • A raised toilet seat so you can use the toilet safely
  • A wheeled trolley can help you to carry items around the house
  • Grab handles on the bath to help you get in and out of the bath
  • Chair raisers to help you get out of your chair
  • Specialist equipment if you have sight loss
  • A perching stools for when you are preparing or cooking food
  • Cutlery with 'easy to hold' handles
  • A height adjustable kitchen trolley if you have difficulty carrying items around the kitchen.

Equipment to help you with eating

If you have shaky hands or limited mobility, you may find it difficult to hold cutlery, drink from a cup, or to use bowls and plates. You could try cutlery with specially shaped or adapted handles to make items easier to hold. If moving is very difficult for you, you can use forearm supports and stabilisers, or even entire eating systems which can be manually or electronically operated. 

How to get equipment 

We always recommend you approach the Council for an assessment, no matter what your circumstances and financial situation. Having an assessment is free of charge and it can help you and others understand your needs better and it will help you think through the options.


What happens next?

Following your assessment, our Access team can arrange for the appropriate equipment to be provided to you on loan. The equipment must be returned to the Council when you no longer require it so it can be recycled.

Useful contacts:

Richmond Council Adult Access Team
Address: Adult Social Services, Civic Centre, 44 York Street, Twickenham, TW1 3BZ
Phone: 020 8891 7971
Minicom: 18001 020 8891 7971
Email: adultsocialservices@richmond.gov.uk

Living made easy
Phone: 0300 999 0004

Address: Disabled Living Foundation, Unit 1, 34 Chatfield Road Wandsworth London SW11 3SE
Phone: 0300 999 0004
Email: info@dlf.org.uk