Extra care housing

If you are finding it difficult to remain independent in your own home and you need a little more support extra care housing may be for you.

Extra care housing usually provides a higher level of support than you might get in your current home, or a sheltered or supported accommodation scheme. It also allows you to retain more privacy than you may have in a care home and enables you to stay as independent as possible.

What is Extra Care Housing?

In extra care housing you have your own flat but you also have support staff on duty in the building 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You will have the peace of mind of on-site support. The kind of support available varies between schemes, but will usually include:

  • help with personal care
  • meal preparation
  • other essential day-to-day tasks, and
  • access to help in an emergency.

The support you receive will depend on your individual needs and wishes and you will have the peace of mind on-site support when something goes wrong. Extra care housing may be suitable for you if:

  • you have learning disabilities that mean you aren't able to live on your own, but you don't want to go into a care home
  • you have physical disabilities such as sensory impairment or mobility problems that make living independently more difficult
  • you are an older person who is still able to live independently and safely, but who has some problems with personal care - for example cooking food or washing yourself safely
  • you are the partner of someone who has care needs, and want to continue to live together while they receive the care and support they need.

How much does it cost?

You will have to pay rent for your flat, but you may be able to claim housing benefit depending on your financial situation. You may also need to pay towards the cost of any care and support you receive, just like you would if you were staying in your own home.


How to apply

If you think extra care housing may be right for you, you will need to have an assessment. Having an assessment is free of charge and it can help you and others understand your needs better and will help you think through the options. The Council will assess your needs and help you to decide whether extra care housing is the best option for you based on the amount of support you need. 

Even if you’re not eligible for support from the Council, we will always give you information and advice tailored to your circumstances and let you know if there are any other services which may be able to help you.


Useful contacts:

Richmond Council Adult Access Team
Address: Adult Social Services, Civic Centre, 44 York Street, Twickenham, TW1 3BZ
Phone: 020 8891 7971
Minicom: 18001 020 8891 7971
Email: adultsocialservices@richmond.gov.uk

Address: 8 Waldegrave Road, Teddington, TW11 8GT
Phone: 0800 032 2433 (0203 166 2200 from mobiles)
Email: customer.services@rhp.org.uk