How we work out how much you have to pay

Adult Care and Support services are means-tested and most Councils charge for these services. The amount you pay will depend on your financial assessment.

What is a financial assessment?

If you have an assessment from the Council, we will also give you a financial assessment form to complete. This assessment of means will determine if and how much you should pay towards your care and support. You can choose not to share your financial details with us. This will mean that you have to pay the full cost of your care and support. 

Paying the full cost

If you are getting support at home, attend a day centre or get direct payments and have savings over £23,250, you will have to pay the full cost of your care. If you are paying the full cost, we can still help you choose and arrange your care and support but you will need to pay a weekly arrangement fee as well as the full- cost of your care and support.

Paying a contribution

If your savings are below £23,250, we will use the financial assessment to determine if you need to contribute towards the costs of your care and support. What you pay will depend on your individual circumstances, such as your income, savings and housing costs. Most people will need to make a contribution. 

How we work out what you have to pay

We will ask you to complete a confidential financial assessment form showing your income and capital, such as savings and other assets and housing costs. You will need to enclose proof of these. 

What income is included?

Income includes any money that you receive from any source and will include the following: 

  • Annuity payments
  • Charitable and voluntary payments
  • Income from subletting a property or garage
  • Maintenance payments and money from friends and family
  • Money paid from trusts
  • Occupational and private pensions 
  • Payments from abroad
  • Rental income
  • State benefits and allowances
  • State retirement pensions.

There is some income which we don't take into account. You should include all the income you get on your financial assessment form so we can work it out.

What we mean by capital

Capital means any savings or investments that you have. We will need to work out how much capital you have for a financial assessment. Some capital is taken into account for a financial assessment but some is not. The following is included as capital:

  • Bank and building society accounts
  • Cash
  • Funds held by the Court of Protection or Deputy or Power of Attorney
  • Income Bonds
  • Individual Savings Accounts (ISAs)
  • Money that belongs to you but is held by someone else on your behalf
  • National Savings Certificates
  • Premium Bonds
  • Stocks, shares and other investments
  • The value of any property you own other than your main residence
  • Unit Trusts.

How we work out your income

We calculate your weekly income from the information that you provide in the financial assessment form. We do this by adding together all your current sources of income. If you have savings then we include an amount for what is known as capital tariff income:

For any savings you have between £14,250 and £23,250 we will include income of £1 per week (tariff income) for every £250 in the financial assessment. For example: 

  • £14,500 savings/assets has tariff income of £1
  • £17,000 savings/assets has tariff income of £11
  • £23,000 savings/assets has tariff income of £35.

If you are entitled to a state benefit but are not yet receiving it then we will include this in the financial assessment from the date you start to receive it.

How we work out your outgoings

We will calculate what you spend on certain housing costs from the information that you provide on the form. This will include money that you spend on rent (less any housing benefit you receive), mortgage, ground rent, council tax (less any council tax reduction you receive) and Careline. 

Disability related expenditure

If you receive disability benefits, we will either provide you with a standard allowance of £20 per week in the financial assessment that covers expenditure that you need to pay from your income for your disability, or we will ask you for information about your disability related expenditure for an individual review to work out the exact figure.

You can request an individual review if you think your disability related expenditure is more than £20 per week. You will also need to have an individual review if you are getting higher rate attendance allowance or disability living allowance (care component) but are not having night time care.

Personal allowance

When we assess your ability to contribute towards the cost of your care and support, we give you a Personal Allowance. This ensures that you will always be left with enough money to pay for basic household expenditure items and general living expenses.

The Government sets the level of Personal Allowance annually, which is known as Minimum Income Guarantee (MIG). 

What happens next?

We will then work out if or how much you have to contribute. We will write to let you know if you have to make a contribution or not. We will also contact you if we need any additional information from you.

Useful contacts:

Richmond Council Charging Helpline
Phone: 020 8831 6400

Richmond Council Adult Access Team
Address: Adult Social Services, Civic Centre, 44 York Street, Twickenham, TW1 3BZ
Phone: 020 8891 7971
Minicom: 18001 020 8891 7971