Paying for care and support in a residential setting

You will need to pay something towards the cost of residential or nursing care. What you pay will depend on your individual circumstances, such as your income and savings.

Before we arrange your care and support for you, we will offer you a financial assessment. This will help us decide if we can help you pay for your care and work out how much you will have to pay towards the costs. We call the amount that we agree to pay for your care and support a Personal Budget. 


Funding your own care and support

If you can pay the full cost of your residential or nursing care, you can make your own arrangements directly with the care home of your choice or you can ask the Council to help you.

More about choosing a care home 

Before you make a decision, it's a good idea to think carefully about how you will fund your stay over time. 


Getting help from the Council

If you think you need help from the Council to pay towards the cost, you will first need to have an assessment to see if you are eligible. Having an assessment is free of charge and it can help you and others understand your needs better and will help you think through the options. Even if you’re not eligible for support from the Council, we will always give you information and advice tailored to your circumstances and let you know if there are any other services which may be able to help you.


As part of your assessment, the Council will look at your income and savings. This is called a financial assessment. This will help the Council decide if they can help you pay for your care and how much you will need to pay:

  • If you have savings over £23,250 you will have to pay for the cost of your care in full; or
  • If you have savings under £23,250 you will have to pay something towards the cost.

You can choose not to share your financial details with us. This will mean that you have to pay the full cost of your care and support. 

How we work out how much you pay

We work out how much you can afford to pay, but you keep a set amount of money every week to cover your personal expenses. For the first six weeks of your stay, the Council will allow for some of your household expenses. 
Some of your benefits may change when you move into the care home. We will explain this to you during your financial assessment. We will also check to see if you are getting all of the benefits you are entitled to.

Respite care

If you have a short stay in a home to give your carer a break, the cost will be worked out in the same way as if you receive support in your own home.

More about paying for care and support at home 


Paying for nursing care

If you need nursing care, the NHS will pay the nursing element of your fees directly to the home. You will still have to pay your contribution to cover your accommodation.  If your needs are predominantly health care, you may be eligible for NHS Continuing Care, where the NHS will fund the full cost of your placement.

What happens if I own a home?

Selling your home

Any property you own will normally be included as part of your savings when we do your financial assessment, so you may want to sell your home to pay for your care and support, although you don't have to. In some situations your property will not be included as part of your income and savings. We call this a 'disregarded property'.

We may not include your property in the assessment if your spouse or partner is living there. The Council may be able to disregard the property if the following persons live there, but this would depend on the circumstances surrounding the other person’s residence in the property: 

  • A relative aged 60 or over continues to live there;
  • A relative under 60 with a disability continues to live there; or
  • You have a child under 16 who continues to live there.

You must tell the Council if you think there may be another reason why they should not take account of the value of your property.

12-Week Disregard Scheme

The Council ignore the value of your home for the first 12 weeks that you live in the care home, so you only have to pay a contribution from your income and savings. This is to give you time to think about your future care before making a final decision about your property. 

If you have savings over £23,250, you will still have to pay your full fees for the 12 weeks. If you sell your home during the 12 week period, you will have to pay your full fees from the date of sale.

Deferred Payments Scheme

This scheme may suit those who cannot afford the full weekly care costs. 

The Council can offer you a loan to pay towards your care costs, which is secured against the value of your home. You will not receive a lump sum of money as part of the agreement, but instead we will pay an agreed weekly amount towards the costs, for as long as necessary. The loan amount will then be repaid from the proceeds, once your property is eventually sold.

More about Deferred Payments 



Useful contacts:

Richmond Council Charging Helpline
Phone: 020 8831 6400

Richmond Council Adult Access Team
Address: Adult Social Services, Civic Centre, 44 York Street, Twickenham, TW1 3BZ
Phone: 020 8891 7971
Minicom: 18001 020 8891 7971