How we work out how much you have to pay

Adult Care and Support services are means-tested and most Councils charge for these services. The amount you pay will depend on your financial assessment.

What is a financial assessment?

If you have an assessment from the Council, we will also give you a financial assessment form to complete. This assessment of means will determine if and how much you should pay towards your care and support. You can choose not to share your financial details with us. This will mean that you have to pay the full cost of your care and support. 

Paying the full cost

If you need to move into a care home there will be a charge for your accommodation and care. You will responsible for paying the accommodation element. If or how much you have to pay towards the care, depends on your individual circumstances. You will be responsible for paying the full fees if:

  • You have more than £23,250 in savings or assets; or
  • Your weekly income is greater than the weekly fees.

If you are paying the full cost, we can still give you information and advice and we will provide you with a list of local care homes. 


Paying a contribution

If your total savings and assets are valued at less than £23,250 and your income is less than the weekly care fees, we will use the financial assessment to determine if you need to contribute towards the costs of your care and support. What you pay will depend on your individual circumstances, such as your income and savings.

How we work out what you have to pay

We will ask you to complete a confidential finanancial assessment form showing your income and capital, such as savings and other assets and housing costs. You will need to enclose proof of these where possible. 

What income is included?

Income includes any money that you receive from any source and will include the following: 

  • Annuity payments
  • Charitable and voluntary payments
  • State Pension
  • Private pensions and pensions from former employment
  • State benefits and allowances
  • Charitable and voluntary payments
  • Maintenance payments and money from friends or family
  • Money from certain types of trust
  • Payments from abroad; and
  • Other payments made to you.

There is some income which we don't take into account. You should include all the income you get on your financial assessment form so we can work it out.

What we mean by capital

Capital means any savings or investments that you have. We will need to work out how much capital you have for a financial assessment. Some capital is taken into account for a financial assessment but some is not. The following is included as capital:

  • Bank and building society accounts
  • Cash
  • Income Bonds
  • Individual Savings Accounts (ISAs)
  • Money that belongs to you but is held by someone else on your behalf
  • National Savings Certificates
  • Premium Bonds and income bonds
  • Stocks, shares and other investments
  • Property or land
  • Any capital or property abroad
  • Unit Trusts.

How we treat your capital

If you have capital of £23,250 or more you will have to pay the full fees charged by the care home. Any capital below £14,250 is ignored for financial assessment purposes.

If you have capital over £14,250, we will assume an income of £1 per week for every £250 up to the £23,250. This is known as ‘tariff income’. 

What happens if I own a home?

Selling your home

Any property you own will normally be included as part of your savings when we do your financial assessment, so you may want to sell your home to pay for your care and support. In some situations your property will not be included as part of your income and savings. We call this a 'disregarded property':

We may not include your property in the assessment if your spouse or partner is living there.

The Council may be able to disregard the property if the following persons live there, but this would depend on the circumstances surrounding the other person’s residence in the property: 

  • A relative aged 60 or over continues to live there;
  • A relative under 60 with a disability continues to live there; or
  • You have a child under 16 who continues to live there.

You must tell the Council if you think there may be another reason why they should not take account of the value of your property.

12-Week Disregard Scheme

We will ignore the value of your home for the first 12 weeks that you live in the care home, so you only have to pay a contribution from your income and savings. This is to give you time to think about your future care before making a final decision about your property. 

If you have savings over £23,250, you will still have to pay your full fees for the 12 weeks. If you sell your home during the 12 week period, you will have to pay your full fees from the date of sale. 

What happens next?

We will then work out if or how much you have to contibute. We will write to let you know if you have to make a contribution or not. We will also contact you if we need any additional information from you.

Useful contacts:

Richmond Council Charging Helpline
Phone: 020 8831 6400

Richmond Council Adult Access Team
Address: Adult Social Services, Civic Centre, 44 York Street, Twickenham, TW1 3BZ
Phone: 020 8891 7971
Minicom: 18001 020 8891 7971