Benefits advice

No matter what your situation, it's important to ensure you get all the help you're entitled to.

There is a range of help and advice available locally and nationally. They can give you advice on the kinds of benefits available to you and help you with accessing these benefits. Many organisations can also support you to appeal a benefits decision. 


Benefits advice service

The Council is working with Richmond Aid and Age UK Richmond to provide support and advice about state pensions and other benefits.

Who can get help?

If you are over 60 (or under 60 with a disability) they can give you free, independent help with:

  • understanding which benefits you’re entitled to claim
  • completing application forms
  • answering queries about your benefit payments
  • verifying documents so you don’t have to send originals
  • appealing decisions you don’t agree with
  • advising on local support organisations

To make sure you get the right advice, you'll need to give some information about your home and family circumstances, your income and savings, and any disabilities you and your family have. Home visits are available for people who are unable to get out and about. The following benefits are covered by this service:

  • Pension Credit
  • Income Support
  • Incapacity Benefit or Employment and Support Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance or Attendance Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payments
  • Jobseekers Allowance
  • Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction
  • Child Tax Credit, Child Benefit or Working Tax Credit
  • Carer's Allowance 


Further information:

Age UK Richmond
Address: Head Office: Suite 301, 3rd Floor, Parkway House, Sheen Lane, East Sheen, London SW14 8LS
Phone: 020 8878 3625
Fax: 020 8876 5387

Richmond Aid Benefits Service
Address: Richmond AID, Disability Action & Advice Centre (DAAC), 4 Waldegrave Road, Teddington, TW11 8HT
Phone: 020 8831 6080 / 6070

Benefits are changing

The government is radically overhauling the benefits system. Universal Credit will merge together some of the benefits and tax credits that you may be getting at the moment into a single monthly payment. Universal Credit will replace:

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit

Universal Credit is being introduced in stages. Most people won’t be affected to start with. At the moment, Universal Credit mainly affects newly unemployed people in specific areas of the country.


Are you looking after someone else?

If you are caring for a relative, friend or neighbour, you may be entitled to claim benefits to support you in your caring role.  


Useful contacts: 

Money Advice Service
Address: The Money Advice Service, Holborn Centre, 120 Holborn, London, EC1N 2TD
Phone: 0800 138 7777

Richmond Citizens Advice Bureau
Address: Citizens Advice Richmond, 5th Floor, Regal House, 70 London Road, Twickenham, TW1 3QS
Phone: 020 8712 7800