Help with looking after your money

If you or someone you know is unable to manage your finances and you have not made arrangements in advance, another person can become an appointee or deputy to help look after your money.

What is an appointeeship?

An appointee can help with receiving and managing your benefits and paying your bills, including:

  • managing your finances
  • making sure you get the correct benefits 
  • making sure you use your money to pay for daily living bills.

Appointeeship may be the best option if someone has limited financial assets, is receiving benefits and doesn't have any other source of income.


What is a deputy?

If your financial affairs are more complicated, a deputy is likely to be the best option. A deputy will become responsible for the management of all your finances if you lose the capacity to do so yourself, including savings, pensions, all sources of income, and assets such as property and valuables.


What happens if there is nobody to become an appointee or deputy?

If there is nobody available or eligible to become an appointee or deputy, the Council may be able to take on this role.

Appointee services

If you have the capacity to deal with your finances, but there is evidence that you are at risk of financial abuse or you are unable to manage your benefits, which could potentially put you at risk, then we may be able to apply for appointeeship. For the Council to act as your appointee, you have to meet all of the following conditions:

  • You are eligible for care and support from the Council
  • You get a social security benefit or state pension
  • You and your social worker consider that you cannot manage your finances
  • You have no appropriate family, friend, or associates or access to organisations who would be able to help you with your finances
  • You sign a consent letter which allows the Council to apply to be your appointee
  • The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is satisfied that you are unable to manage your affairs.

How to apply

If you already get support from the Council, you will need to speak to the team that arranged your care and support. They will help you organise everything.

If you are not eligible for care and support, a family member or friend can apply to become your appointee.

More about appointees and how to apply

Useful contacts:

Richmond Council Adult Access Team
Address: Adult Social Services, Civic Centre, 44 York Street, Twickenham, TW1 3BZ
Phone: 020 8891 7971
Minicom: 18001 020 8891 7971

Richmond Council Charging Helpline
Phone: 020 8831 6400