Emergency help for the person you care for

If emergency help is needed, don't hesitate and call 999.

If you care for someone who cannot look after themselves without your support, you may be worried about what you would do and how you would react in an emergency. There are a number of ways in which you make sure you can get the help that you need fast:

Your GP

Always keep the phone number for your GP handy. During out of normal surgery opening hours, you will be redirected to an out of hours service which provides cover during evenings and at weekends and bank holidays. 

Some GP practices in Richmond now offer appointments in the evenings, at weekends and bank holidays. If you are unable to get an appointment, the reception staff at your surgery may be able to arrange for your GP to call you to discuss your situation. 


NHS 111

If you need help urgently but it's not a 999 emergency, you can call 111. NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones. You should call 111 if: 

  • you need medical help fast but it's not a 999 emergency
  • you think you need to go to A&E or need another NHS urgent care service
  • you don't know who to call or you don't have a GP to call
  • you need health information or reassurance about what to do next

You can also go a walk-in centre. They can help with minor illnesses and injuries and you don't need an appointment.   

Teddington Walk-in Centre
Address: Teddington Memorial Hospital, Hampton Road, Teddington, TW11 0JL
Phone: 020 8714 4004

Life-threatening emergency?

If you or someone you know experiences an emergency which is life-threatening, don't hesitate. Call 999 straight away.

Kingston Hospital A&E
Address: Galsworthy Road, Kingston upon Thames, Surrey, KT2 7QB
Phone: 020 8546 7711

West Middlesex University Hospital A&E
Address: West Middlesex University Hospital, Twickenham Road, Isleworth, Middlesex, TW7 6AF
Phone: 020 8560 2121

Datalink canisters

Datalink canisters are small plastic containers which store important information about you or the person you care for. This includes details such as medical history and emergency contact numbers.  These are kept in the home, so details can be used to get help in case of an emergency.



Telecare is a 24 hour monitoring system that can help keep the person you care for safe in their own home. Using a small device, it enables them to call for help in an emergency. 


Useful contacts:

Richmond Council Adult Access Team
Address: Adult Social Services, Civic Centre, 44 York Street, Twickenham, TW1 3BZ
Phone: 020 8891 7971
Minicom: 18001 020 8891 7971
Email: adultsocialservices@richmond.gov.uk

If emergency help is needed, always dial 999.