Pension credit

Pension Credit is an income-related benefit made up of 2 parts - Guarantee Credit and Savings Credit. You may be able to get one or both parts depending on your circumstances.

Guarantee Credit tops up your weekly income if it’s below £151.20 (for single people) or £230.85 (for couples). Savings Credit is an extra payment for people who saved some money towards their retirement.

Who can claim pension credit?

You may qualify for Guarantee Credit if:

  • you live in Great Britain; and
  • you or your partner must have reached Pension Credit qualifying age

You can’t get Pension Credit if you move abroad permanently.

The qualifying age for Pension Credit is gradually going up to 66 in line with the increase in the State Pension age for women to 65 and the further increase to 66 for men and women.

To qualify for the extra Savings Credit, you or your partner must be 65 or over. If you live with your husband, wife or partner you will be treated as a couple. You don’t have to be married or in a civil partnership. 

If you reach State Pension age on or after 6 April 2016

Most people won’t be eligible for Savings Credit. You may still get Savings Credit if you’re part of a couple and one of you has reached State Pension age before 6 April 2016.


How to claim pension credit

The quickest way to apply for Income Support is by phone. 

Pension Credit Claim Line
Phone: 0800 99 1234

If you are unable to make a claim by phone yourself, ask a family member or friend to help you. They can call on your behalf as long as you are with them at the time. You can also ask a local voluntary organisation to help.  

Benefits are changing

The government is radically overhauling the benefits system. Universal Credit will merge together some of the benefits and tax credits that you may be getting at the moment into a single monthly payment. Universal Credit will replace:

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit

Universal Credit is being introduced in stages. Most people won’t be affected to start with. At the moment, Universal Credit mainly affects newly unemployed people in specific areas of the country.


Useful contacts:

Richmond Carers Hub Service
Address: 5 Briar Road, Twickenham, TW2 6RB
Phone: 020 8867 2380

Richmond Council Adult Access Team
Address: Adult Social Services, Civic Centre, 44 York Street, Twickenham, TW1 3BZ
Phone: 020 8891 7971
Minicom: 18001 020 8891 7971