Income support

Income Support helps people who do not have enough to live on. It is for certain groups of people who don't get Jobseeker's Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance and are not in full time employment.

Income support is made up of a basic payment and an extra payments (or premiums). The amount of income support you get will depend on your circumstances but if you qualify and have no income you’ll get at least £57.90 a week.

Who can claim income support?

You might be entitled to receive income support if you, and your partner: 

  • Are between 16 and Pension Credit qualifying age
  • Are pregnant, or a carer, or a lone parent with a child under 5 or, in some cases, unable to work due to illness or disability
  • Have no income or a low income and no more than £16,000 in savings (your partner’s income and savings will be taken into account)
  • Are working less than 16 hours a week (and your partner works less than 24 hours a week)
  • Are living in England, Scotland or Wales - there are different rules for Northern Ireland.


How to claim income support

The quickest way to apply for Income Support is by phone. You need your National Insurance number and date of birth when you call.

Jobcentre Plus New Claims
Phone: 0800 055 6688

You can also claim by post. The address to post your claim to is at the end of the form.


Report a Change of Circumstances

You must report changes in circumstances to Jobcentre Plus, for example:

  • change of address
  • you start working
  • your income or savings change
  • the number of people who live with you changes

You need your National Insurance number and date of birth when you call.

Jobcentre Plus Existing Claims
Phone: 0345 608 8545

Benefits checks

Are you sure you get all the benefits you are entitled to as a carer?  


Benefits are changing

The government is radically overhauling the benefits system. Universal Credit will merge together some of the benefits and tax credits that you may be getting at the moment into a single monthly payment. Universal Credit will replace:

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit.

Universal Credit is being introduced in stages. Most people won’t be affected to start with. At the moment, Universal Credit mainly affects newly unemployed people in specific areas of the country.


Useful contacts:

Richmond Council Adult Access Team
Address: Adult Social Services, Civic Centre, 44 York Street, Twickenham, TW1 3BZ
Phone: 020 8891 7971
Minicom: 18001 020 8891 7971

Richmond Carers Hub Service
Address: 5 Briar Road, Twickenham, TW2 6RB
Phone: 020 8867 2380