The Care Act 2014 has made the care and support system much fairer and clearer and for the first time, carers have the same rights as those they care for. The Act introduced a national eligibility threshold for carers, which sets out three conditions, all of which must be met for a carer's needs to be eligible for support from the Council. 

How we decide if you're eligible

All councils across England have to apply the new national minimum threshold for eligibility. The carer's assessment will look at the carer's needs and how these impact their caring role has on their wellbeing. As part of your carer's assessment, we have to consider whether or not you meet the national eligibility criteria. To do this, we will assess if you meet the following 3 conditions:

Condition 1:

The carer's needs for support arise because they are providing necessary care to an adult. 

Carers can be eligible for support even when the person they care for is not eligible for care and support from the Council. However, the carer must still be providing 'necessary' care. This means that if you are helping the person with things that they could manage themselves, this support may not be considered necessary.

Condition 2:

As a result of their caring responsibilities the carer's physical or mental health is either deteriorating, or is at risk of doing so, or the carer is unable to achieve one or more of the following outcomes: 

  • Carrying out any caring responsibilities the carer has for a child
  • Providing care to other persons for whom the carer provides care
  • Maintaining a habitable home environment
  • Managing and maintaining nutrition
  • Developing and maintaining family or other personal relationships
  • Engaging in work, training, education or volunteering
  • Making use of necessary facilities or services in the local community, including public transport, and recreational facilities or services
  • Engaging in recreational activities

Condition 3:

As a consequence of being unable to achieve these outcomes, there is, or there is likely to be, a significant impact on the carer’s wellbeing.

To do this, we will consider how your needs impact on these nine areas of wellbeing:

  • personal dignity including being treated with respect
  • physical and mental health and emotional wellbeing
  • protection from abuse and neglect
  • control over day-to-day life (this includes the care and support provided and the way it is provided)
  • participation in work, education, training or recreation
  • social and economic wellbeing
  • domestic, family and personal relationships
  • suitability of living accommodation
  • your contribution to society.

What does 'unable to achieve' mean?

  • Unable to achieve the outcome without assistance: A carer might, for example, be unable to fulfil their parental responsibilities unless they receive support in their caring role;
  • Able to achieve the outcome without assistance but doing so causes or is likely to cause the carer significant pain, distress or anxiety: A carer might for example be able to care for the adult and undertake fulltime employment, but if doing both, this causes the carer significant distress, the carer should not be considered able to engage in employment;
  • Able to achieve the outcome without assistance, but doing so endangers or is likely to endanger the health or safety of the carer or any adults or children for whom the carer provides care: A carer might for example be able to provide care for their family and deliver necessary care for the adult, but, where this endangers the adult with care and support needs, for example, because the adult receiving care would have to be left alone while other responsibilities are met, the carer should not be considered able to meet the outcome of caring for their family. 

What if I am not eligible?

Even if you have no eligible needs, there are a range of universal services available to all carers. We will provide further information about local services which will be able to help you. We will also offer you advice on how to meet or reduce your existing needs, and what can be done to prevent or delay the development of needs in the future.


Useful contacts:

Richmond Council Adult Access Team
Address: Adult Social Services, Civic Centre, 44 York Street, Twickenham, TW1 3BZ
Phone: 020 8891 7971
Minicom: 18001 020 8891 7971

Richmond Carers Hub Service
Address: 5 Briar Road, Twickenham, TW2 6RB
Phone: 020 8867 2380