Are you worried you can't provide care anymore?

Perhaps the person you look after can’t be cared for at home anymore, or you feel you can no longer cope with caring on your own.

It’s inevitable that your role as a carer will change over time depending on various circumstances.  You might find yourself in a situation where you feel you can no longer look after someone. Caring can be physically and mentally challenging, and there are often limits to the level of care that can be provided in the home.

What options are available if you decide to stop caring?

If you live with the person you’re caring for, you could choose to get additional support at home, which would take the pressure off you as a carer. This could be anything from a few hours of support a week to employing someone like a personal assistant to live with you full time. Whatever your circumstances, there is local advice and support available to help you decide.

Finding someone to help you and the person you look after in their own home 

There are different options for getting help with practical support at home, such as washing, dressing and cooking and moving around the house:

Care and support workers

You can arrange for a qualified care worker to visit you in your home and help support your needs as a carer. They can help you with your role. Care workers are employed by home care agencies and the agency would carry out all the necessary employment checks and train them make sure they are able to support you in the best possible way. Care agencies employ lots of different care workers and have more potential to be flexible. This may mean that you won't have the same care workers visiting you each time. 


Personal Assistants

If the person you look after has considerable needs or you needs someone to help them get out and about, you may want to consider employing a personal assistant (PA). A PA is someone who works privately for you. You get to decide who you would like to help you, when they come and what they do. Employing a personal assistant also brings responsibilities. 


Considering whether support at home is the best option

If you are no longer able to provide the necessary care for the person and support at home isn't enough, there may come a time when you consider whether it would better for the person to be looked after somewhere else. 


Further advice and support

Realising that you can't cope anymore and have to stop caring for someone close to you can be a very difficult time, as you may feel guilty for not being able to do more yourself. It's important to take care of yourself at this time and talk to your friends and family and get their support. You can also get advice and support from the Richmond Carers Hub Service. 


Useful contacts: 

Richmond Carers Hub Service
Address: 5 Briar Road, Twickenham, TW2 6RB
Phone: 020 8867 2380