I'm worried about myself

Everyone should be able to live freely without fear and to be treated with respect.

You may be more of risk of abuse than others simply because you are less able to take care of yourself or protect yourself from harm, or because you depend on others to help you with their day-to-day living. Sadly, you may become vulnerable or at risk as a result. Often people who you know well, such as relatives, friends, neighbours or paid carers may take advantage of your situation and treat you badly or not look after you properly.

How do I know if I am at risk? 

Abuse can take many forms and can be either deliberate or accidental. Whether you are experiencing or at risk of abuse or neglect will depend on the individual circumstances of what is happening. Here are some examples of types of abuse and neglect:

  • Physical, for example hitting, slapping, pushing or inappropriately physically restraining, or the mismanagement of medication
  • Sexual, for example unwanted touching, kissing or sexual intercourse
  • Psychological,  for example shouting or swearing to make another person afraid
  • Financial or material, for example taking money or belongings under pressure or misusing without consent
  • Modern Slavery, for example human trafficking, forced labour, slavery and domestic servitude
  • Discriminatory, for example suffering abuse or neglect on the grounds of religion, culture, gender, sexuality or disability
  • Organisational, for example unsatisfactory professional practice, pervasive ill treatment or gross misconduct indicating an abusive climate
  • Neglect, for example not being properly cared for, mismanaging medication or being denied privacy, choice or social contact
  • Domestic Abuse, for example psychological, physical, sexual, financial, emotional abuse or, so called, ‘honour-based violence' 
  • Self–neglect, for example neglecting to care for one’s personal hygiene, health or surroundings, or hoarding.

Abuse can take place anywhere including in your own home, in a care home or day centre or in hospital. It may be a single act or take place over a longer period of time.

What can I do if I am worried?

Everyone has the right to live in safety, free from abuse and neglect. If you think you are being mistreated in anyway or can't protect yourself, it is important to get help. We understand that you may feel scared to talk to someone about what is happening to you. You may want to tell a relative or friend who you trust and ask them to assist you in getting help. 

If you are in immediate danger, always dial 999.

You can also contact Action on elder abuse for confidential help and advice about all aspects of abuse. 

Action on elder abuse
Phone: 080 8808 8141
Email: enquiries@elderabuse.org.uk

If you are ready to report your concerns, you can do this online or by contacting the Adult Access team. They can offer advice and support and put measures in place to protect them.


Useful contacts: 

Richmond Council Adult Access Team
Address: Adult Social Services, Civic Centre, 44 York Street, Twickenham, TW1 3BZ
Phone: 020 8891 7971
Minicom: 18001 020 8891 7971
Email: adultsocialservices@richmond.gov.uk

If you suspect criminal abuse is involved contact the Police by dialling 101.