Keeping your home gas safe

We rely on our gas boilers, cookers and fires to keep us warm, help us make hot food and have hot baths. However, each year people die and others are made unwell by faulty appliances.

You can stay gas safe in your own home by making sure you: 

  • Have all gas appliances checked every year
  • Use a gas safe engineer to carry out the work – remember to ask to see their ID card
  • Buy an audible carbon monoxide alarm close to your gas appliances
  • Check your appliances for any signs that they are faulty – for example a yellow flame rather than a blue one
  • Know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning (headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness)
  • Only use an appliance for its intended purpose
  • Ensure there is always enough ventilation for gas appliances to burn correctly.

Gas Safety Register
Address: PO Box 6804, Basingstoke, RG24 4NB
Phone: 0800 408 5500

If you smell gas, call the National Gas Emergency Helpline 24 hours a day on 0800 111 999.