What is an assessment?

An assessment is simply a discussion with you that will help us understand what help and support you might need coping with life on a day to day basis and living independently in your own home.

What is an assessment?

Anyone has the right to ask us for an assessment regardless of their financial situation. It usually involves a chat over the phone or in your own home and we're very happy if you have a friend, relative or carer with you. If you are in hospital, we'll come and talk to you before you are discharged to see about any help you might need in the home whilst you are recovering. The assessment is a two way conversation. We'll ask you to tell us something about yourself and you can tell us how you think we can help and support you best. 
We might also ask the opinion of other professionals who know and work with you, like your GP, but we will only do this with your permission. We will also take account of the needs of your family or carer and assess them separately if they ask us to. 

Remember we are only coming to see you to understand how you are coping day to day and how we might help to improve your quality of life.

How quickly will this happen?

If your situation is very urgent and you are in a crisis or at serious risk of harm or your carer is finding it very difficult to cope, we will aim to see you as soon as possible. In all other circumstances, it will be within 28 days of you or your family asking for an assessment.

What about confidentiality?

We respect your privacy at all times. Any information you give us will be treated as confidential and will only be shared with anyone else involved in your care and support with your permission - other than in exceptional circumstances where the law says we must show your information to someone else.

Who can get help?

During the assessment we will identify and agree your needs with you and discuss the help and support available to meet them. How much help you will be able to get will depend on your needs and whether you're eligible for care and support from the Council. 


If you are eligible for help from the Council, we will use the information you have given us during the assessment to work out roughly how much it will cost to support your needs. We will also let you know if we can help to pay for this support. If we can help to pay, we will agree an amount of money that is sufficient to meet your assessed care and support needs. We call this a Personal Budget.


We will then work with you to find out what things you want to change in your life and the things you want to stay the same. You will also need to tell us how you will spend your Personal Budget to help make these things happen. We call this a Care and Support Plan.


If you are not eligible for help, we will still give you information and advice on other services that are available to help you to continue to live independently and to maintain your quality of life. We will also offer you advice on how to meet or reduce your existing needs, and what can be done to prevent or delay the development of needs in the future. 

What if you're unhappy with the outcome?

If you’re unhappy with the process, your assessment, care and support plan or personal budget we want to hear about it as soon as possible. We recommend that you speak to your allocated worker in the first instance. If you can't come to an agreement, you can let us know in writing what you are unhappy about and why you think the process has been unfair or inaccurate. 

Once we have heard from you, we will look at your concerns and may contact you to discuss the issue. We will always respond to you in writing. If you are still not satisfied, you can use our complaints procedure. 


Useful contacts:

Richmond Council Adult Access Team
Address: Adult Social Services, Civic Centre, 44 York Street, Twickenham, TW1 3BZ
Phone: 020 8891 7971
Minicom: 18001 020 8891 7971
Email: adultsocialservices@richmond.gov.uk

Our online self-appraisal is designed to help you think about your situation and consider what you need support with.