The Care Act 2014 has made the care and support system much fairer and clearer. The Act introduced a single national eligibility threshold for adults, which sets out three conditions, all of which must be met for a person's needs to be eligible for care and support from the Council. 

How we decide if you're eligible

All councils across England have to apply the new national minimum threshold for eligibility. The assessment will look at the person's needs and how these impact on their everyday life and their wellbeing. As part of your assessment, we have to consider whether or not you meet the national eligibility criteria. To do this, we will assess if you meet the following 3 conditions:

Condition 1:

The person’s needs are due to a physical or mental impairment or illness.

This includes conditions such as physical, mental, sensory, learning or cognitive disabilities or illnesses, brain injuries and substance misuse.

Condition 2:

As a result, the adult is unable to achieve two or more of the following outcomes: 

  • Managing and maintaining nutrition
  • Maintaining personal hygiene
  • Managing toilet needs
  • Being appropriately clothed
  • Being able to make use of the adult’s home safely
  • Maintaining a habitable home environment
  • Developing and maintaining family or other personal relationships
  • Accessing and engaging in work, training, education or volunteering
  • Making use of necessary facilities or services in the local community, including public transport, and recreational facilities or services
  • Carrying out any caring responsibilities the person has for a child.

Condition 3:

As a consequence of being unable to achieve these outcomes, there is, or there is likely to be, a significant impact on the person's wellbeing.

To do this, we will consider how your needs impact on these nine areas of wellbeing:

  • Personal dignity including being treated with respect
  • Physical and mental health and emotional wellbeing
  • Protection from abuse and neglect
  • Control over day-to-day life (this includes the care and support provided and the way it is provided)
  • Participation in work, education, training or recreation
  • Social and economic wellbeing
  • Domestic, family and personal relationships
  • Suitability of living accommodation
  • Your contribution to society.

What does 'unable to achieve' mean?

  • Unable to achieve the outcome without assistance: This includes where the person may need prompting, for example some adults may be physically able to wash but need reminding of the importance of personal hygiene.
  • Able to achieve the outcome without assistance but doing so causes the adult significant pain, distress or anxiety: For example, an elderly person with severe arthritis may be able to prepare a meal, but this leaves them in severe pain and unable to eat the meal.
  • Able to achieve the outcome without assistance, but doing so endangers or is likely to endanger the health or safety of the adult, or of others: For example, if the health or safety of another member of the family, including any child could be endangered when an adult attempts to complete a task or an activity without relevant support.
  • Able to achieve the outcome without assistance but takes significantly longer than would normally be expected: For example, a young adult with a physical disability is able to dress themselves in the morning, but it takes them a long time to do this and exhausted and taking the remainder of the morning to recover. 

What if I am not eligible?

Even if you are not eligible for support, we will still give you information and advice on other services that are available to help you to continue to live independently and to maintain your quality of life. We will also offer you advice on how to meet or reduce your existing needs, and what can be done to prevent or delay the development of needs in the future.

Find out if you may be eligible


Useful contacts:

Richmond Council Adult Access Team
Address: Adult Social Services, Civic Centre, 44 York Street, Twickenham, TW1 3BZ
Phone: 020 8891 7971
Minicom: 18001 020 8891 7971

GoLocal for Sheen, Mortlake, Barnes, Twickenham or Whitton
Phone: 020 8973 1877

Community Partnership for Richmond, Kew, Ham, Petersham,Teddington or The Hamptons
Phone: 020 8831 6464