Support for Self-funders

If you pay the full cost of your care and support without any help from the Council, then we call you a self-funder. People make their own arrangements for care and support for a number of different reasons.

Some people choose to pay for their own care and support simply because they prefer to make their own arrangements for support or they do not want to be financially assessed by the Council. Other people ask the Council for an assessment and during that process they find out that they are not eligible for financial support from the Council.

In the following circumstances, you will be expected to fully fund your own care and support services:

  • If you are receiving care in a care home and you have over £23,250 in capital and/or savings
  • If you are receiving care and support at home and you have over £23,250 in capital and/or savings.

Self-funders can ask for a light-touch financial assessment.


Who can have an assessment?

Anyone has the right to ask us for an assessment regardless of their financial situation. An assessment can help you better understand your own situation and what you need to stay independent. It is also an opportunity to get information and advice about local services and what can be done to prevent or delay the development of needs in the future


At the end of the assessment process, we will tell you if you are eligible for care and support. If you are eligible, we can work with you to develop a care and support plan. The plan can help you think through what services may be available to meet your needs and how to make these services best work for you and your circumstances.


What help can I get as a self-funder?

Help with arranging your care and support at home

If you have been assessed as having eligible care and support needs and are paying the full cost of your care and support at home, we can help arrange your services for you.  We can help by:

  • Finding the right care provider to meet your needs and preferences from our list of contracted care providers
  • Negotiating the cost of your care and support at Council rates and putting in place a contract
  • Monitoring the quality of your care and support
  • Working with your care provider to address any concerns or complaints about the quality of the care you are getting
  • Managing all payments to the care provider for you. 

Unfortunately, we are not able to arrange care for anyone looking to stay in a care home. However, we can still provide information and advice and a list of local care homes. 

Howe much will it cost?

There will be a charge of £50 a week to cover our administration costs. 

What else is available?

If you do not want to have an assessment, or you would just prefer to make arrangements independently, there are several local organisations, which can help you find the support you need:

  • Ruils offer advice and guidance to understand your options and help you choose and set up your care and support. This can include finding the right care provider or organising practical things at home.

There are also a range of support services available regardless of your financial situation.


Useful contacts:

GoLocal for Sheen, Mortlake, Barnes, Twickenham or Whitton
Phone: 020 8973 1877

Community Partnership for Richmond, Kew, Ham, Petersham,Teddington or The Hamptons
Phone: 020 8831 6464

Richmond Council Adult Access Team
Address: Adult Social Services, Civic Centre, 44 York Street, Twickenham, TW1 3BZ
Phone: 020 8891 7971
Minicom: 18001 020 8891 7971

Phone: 020 8831 6083