Support for Carers

The Care Act ensures that for the first time carers are recognised in law in the same way as those they care for.

If you help another person, usually a relative or friend, in their day to day life, then you are a carer. This is not the same as someone who provides care professionally or through a voluntary organisation. 

What does the Care Act say about carers?

  • Carers of adults are now entitled to an assessment of needs regardless of the needs of the person they care for
  • The assessment will look at how caring affects your life, will help you work out how you can carry on doing the things that are important to you and your family, and what could help you with your caring responsibilities
  • Your general wellbeing should be at the heart of the assessment
  • To establish your needs and determine your eligibility for support we will carry out a carer's assessment
  • We will also look at what contribution information, advice and preventative services could make to your well-being


You will be eligible for support if:

  • Your needs as a carer arise as a result of providing necessary care for an adult
  • Your physical or mental health is deteriorating or is at risk of doing so or
  • There is likely to be a significant impact your wellbeing


Support planning 

We will then work with you to find out what things you want to change in your life and help you to develop a Support Plan to meet your needs as a carer. 



Useful contacts:

Richmond Council Adult Access Team
Address: Adult Social Services, Civic Centre, 44 York Street, Twickenham, TW1 3BZ
Phone: 020 8891 7971
Minicom: 18001 020 8891 7971

Richmond Carers Hub Service
Address: 5 Briar Road, Twickenham, TW2 6RB
Phone: 020 8867 2380