Moving to a new area

People with care and support needs will sometimes want to move to a new area, just like anyone else, for example to start a new job or to be closer to family.

The Care Act 2014 ensures that you receive proper 'continuity of care' if you decide to move from one place to another. This means that if you are receiving care and support in one area, you will continue to receive this support on the day of your arrival in the new area. 

How does it work?

If you are thinking of moving, you or someone on your behalf, like a family member or carer, have to contact the local Council in the area you are moving to to tell them about your plans. They will be able to give you more information and advice about local services to help you make a decision about your move.

They will then get in touch with the Council where you are currently living to make sure that you're genuinely looking to move. The sooner you let the Council know about your plans, they can start looking into your situation and make arrangements.

Sharing of information between the Councils

The Council in the area where you are currently living and who has carried out your assessment in the first place, must provide a copy of your most recent care and support plan and any other information as requested to the other Council. If you have a carer who is also moving and who will continue to support you after you move, they must also provide your carer's most recent support plan.

The new Council will then undertake its own assessment and carers assessment to find out if there are any changes to your needs as a result of the move. For example, you may be moving nearer to family and not need as much support from the Council or you may need more support in your new home. If possible and practical, both assessments can take place before you move to ensure that the right care and support is in place when you arrive. 

Both Councils will keep in touch throughout this process and keep you informed at all times. 

What happens when you move 

Even if the new Council has not completed its own assessment before you move, they have to make sure your needs are met from the day you move. They can use the information provided by your current Council to decide what services to put in place to meet your needs until they have completed their own assessment. This should ensure that you don't experience any gap in the care and support you need every day.

Further information:

Richmond Council Adult Access Team
Address: Adult Social Services, Civic Centre, 44 York Street, Twickenham, TW1 3BZ
Phone: 020 8891 7971
Minicom: 18001 020 8891 7971