Care and Support Planning

What support you receive will depend on your individual circumstances, such as the needs identified in your assessment and any support you get from a carer, such as a family member or friend.

This support may include provision of equipment or other gadgets to keep you safe in your home, help looking after yourself at home, help with going out, or support to get to work or attending education.

What if I'm not eligible? 

If you're not eligible for support from the Council, we will still give you information and advice on other services that are available to help you to continue to live independently and to maintain your quality of life. There are a range of services in the community which are available to anyone regardless of their situation. 

Further information and support:

GoLocal for Sheen, Mortlake, Barnes, Twickenham or Whitton
Phone: 020 8973 1877

Community Partnership for Richmond, Kew, Ham, Petersham,Teddington or The Hamptons
Phone: 020 8831 6464

What is a care and support plan?

If you're eligible for support from the Council, we will work with you to find out what things you want to change in your life and the things you want to stay the same. You will also need to tell us how you will spend your Personal Budget to help make these things happen. We call this a Care and Support Plan.

Developing your plan

You can create the plan yourself, with family and friends, or with help from the Council or another organisation. Your plan should reflect your individual wishes, needs and aspirations, what is important to and for you and describe how your needs will be met. It will include:

  • your eligible needs
  • what support you will receive
  • how much that support will cost - your Personal Budget
  • the outcomes you are looking to achieve in your day-to-day life.

The plan will also include details of any support which is being paid for and support provided by your relatives or friends. It will also include information about ways in which you can remain as independent, active and healthy as possible.

What happens next?

Once you and the Council are happy with your plan, you can start choosing your support. You will have started thinking about some of the details when developing your plan. If you have decided to take your personal budget as a direct payment, you or someone acting on your behalf will have to start arranging your care and support. 

What happens when something goes wrong?

We will arrange to review your care and support plan from time to time to find out how everything is working and to make sure it still meets your needs. When this happens will depend on your individual circumstances, but we will always review your needs once a year. 

If anything changes in the meantime, for example if your condition worsens or you have a fall, it's a good idea to contact us as soon as possible so that we can make any adjustments to your plan and see if there are any ways to help you regain your independence. 

What if you're unhappy with the outcome?

If you’re unhappy with the process, your assessment, care and support plan or personal budget we want to hear about it as soon as possible. We recommend that you speak to your allocated worker in the first instance. If you can't come to an agreement, you can let us know in writing what you are unhappy about and why you think the process has been unfair or inaccurate. 

Once we have heard from you, we will look at your concerns and may contact you to discuss the issue. We will always respond to you in writing. If you are still not satisfied, you can use our complaints procedure. 

Useful contacts:

Richmond Council Adult Access Team
Address: Adult Social Services, Civic Centre, 44 York Street, Twickenham, TW1 3BZ
Phone: 020 8891 7971
Minicom: 18001 020 8891 7971