Going on holiday

Everyone needs to get away sometimes. But as we get older or our mobility becomes more of a problem, it can often be difficult to find a suitable holiday.

There are a range of holidays available to cater for any requirements and needs so you can relax and enjoy yourself to the full.

Things to consider 

  • Find out  if your hotel is accessible and what the arrangements are, for example whether the hotel rooms have accessible bathrooms, whether there is someone on-call who can help you and whether wheelchairs or other mobility equipment are available to hire.
  • If you are travelling by plane, you should contact your airline in advance to tell them if you will be bringing additional equipment, such as a wheelchair, and if you need help to board the plane. They will be able to advise what the arrangements will be when you get to the terminal.




  • Remember to take enough of any medicines with you that you may need on your holiday, as you may not be able to get it once you are abroad.
  • If you're travelling within Europe, apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) which will cover you for most medical treatment you might need.
  • It's also a good idea to arrange travel insurance for your trip in case of any emergencies.

What types of holidays are available? 

Apart from the usual range of holidays available, some organisations cater for specific age groups and needs. 

Holidays for the over 50s

If you’re retired and want to enjoy your new-found freedom by travelling, there are many excellent deals and packages available for seniors. These can save you a lot of money. Being able to travel out of season can also reduce the cost of your holiday. There are many travel organisations who specialise in organising holidays for the over 50s. 

Solo travellers

Perhaps you’re travelling without a companion, and are worried about going on holiday alone. There are companies that organise holidays for lone travellers, where everyone is in the same position as you. You can participate in organised group activities, and make new friends whilst enjoying a break.

Specialist travel agents and operators

You may want to consider booking with a travel agent or operator that specialises in accessible holidays. They will be able to find you accessible and disability-friendly destinations and hotels, and ensure your trip goes smoothly. 

  • Age UK holidays provide information and advice on holidays if you're older and are  travelling alone
  • Solo Holidays cater for singles over the age of 50
  • Saga provide holidays for the over 50s and also for solo travellers
  • Responsible travel offer worldwide discovery holidays and deals for the over 50s
  • Vitalise is a charity which arranges holidays for people with physical disabilities and  their carers
  • Smile Holidays offer supported holidays for people with a learning disability
  • Disability holiday guide offer a range of holidays for  disabled holidaymakers and  people with pre-existing medical conditions
  • Calvert Trust offers outdoor adventure holidays at 3 UK locations. 

Holidays and breaks for carers

If you’re looking after someone, it's important to have time to yourself and take regular breaks from caring. Many specialist holiday providers will also provide respite holidays, which include additional services such as 24-hour care the person you look after.


Useful contacts:

Community Partnership for Richmond, Kew, Ham, Petersham,Teddington or The Hamptons
Phone: 020 8831 6464
Email: advice@commpartnership.co.uk

GoLocal for Sheen, Mortlake, Barnes, Twickenham or Whitton
Phone: 020 8973 1877
Email: hello@golocal.org.uk

Richmond Council Adult Access Team
Address: Adult Social Services, Civic Centre, 44 York Street, Twickenham, TW1 3BZ
Phone: 020 8891 7971
Minicom: 18001 020 8891 7971
Email: adultsocialservices@richmond.gov.uk